The Town is working with the Cape Charles Rotary Club and the New Roots Youth Garden Committee on the New Roots Youth Garden Project at the corner of Fig Street and Randolph Avenue.
The New Roots Youth Garden initiative is committed to providing experiences that help local youth develop:
- Personal Growth earned through hard work, patience and the rewards of gardening.
- Environmental Awareness gained by exploring the inter-connected relationships among living things like plants, worms and bees and non-living things like soil and water.
- Healthy Lifestyles supported by eating what they grow and engaging in physical activitiy that improves strength, burns calories, increases coordination and promotes an overall sense of well being.
- Social Skills & Awareness cultivated through teamwork, service-learing, mentoring and leadership opportunities.
- Community Spirit and Connectedness built through meaningful activities focused on community improvement as they work with caring, nurturing adult mentors.
- The Joy and Satisfaction of Meaningful Work experienced through varied gardening activities that are fun and yield great results.
Please click the following links for more information on the project or if you would like to be part of the project.
For more information and to learn how you can get involved, please contact Jen Lewis, Recreation Coordinator, at 331-3259 ext. 18.